So generally I make the copy cat of the Bonefish Grill appetizer listed on Fake Ginger but I decided to test it out to cut down on the calories using greek yogurt. It was still pretty good but I do love the original recipe more.
What you need:
- 1/2 lb. raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 pieces of chicken tenderloin, tendon removed
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 4-5 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, such as Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup coconut oil
What to do:
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl; cover and set aside.
- Combine beaten egg with milk in shallow bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour, panko, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and basil in another shallow bowl; set aside.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Bread the shrimp and chicken by first coating each with the breading mixture. Dip breaded shrimp and chicken into the egg and milk mixture, and then back into the breading. Arrange the coated shrimp on a plate and pop them into the fridge for at least 20 minutes. This step will help the breading to stick on the shrimp when they are frying.
- Heat oil in pan until smoking slightly.
- When oil is hot, fry shrimp 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Fry chicken 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Drain on rack or paper towels.
- When all shrimp and chicken have been fried, drop them into a large bowl. Spoon about a ¼ cup of sauce over it and stir gently to coat. You can also dip shrimp or chicken into the sauce if you don’t want to coat it.
Works as an appetizer or entree.
Serves 2-4 people. For servings of 4: 269 Calories, 4g fat, 41g protein, and 4g sugar.
Regular Recipe with servings for 4 has: 462 Calories, 27g fat, 27g protein, and 4g sugar.