What You Need:
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni (I prefer whole grain)
- 5 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 1 T powdered mustard
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ea bay leaf
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1 ea egg
- 10 ounces cheese, I used cheddar/ Monterey jack mix
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil pasta until al dente. I cook it one less minute than the box directions.
- While pasta is cooking assemble the sauce in a deep sauce pan. Add 3 tbsp butter and let melt, add flour and mustard to pan and cook, whisking continuously for 5 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add milk/cream and dried spices. Bring to simmer and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- In a separate small pan, melt 2 tbsp butter. Brown panko crumbs in butter. Set aside.
- Temper in the egg into the sauce mix. Add the cheese and let melt.
- Add pasta to greased casserole dish.
- Pour mixture over pasta.
- Sprinkle browned panko crumbs on top followed by italian bread crumbs.
- Bake this for 30 minutes uncovered or until bubbly.
This turned out pretty good. I want to use stronger cheeses next time.
Servings 8-12. If serving is about 1/2 cup: 323 calories, 19g g fat, 11g protein, 277g sodium, 3g sugar.