My mom has made this for years. It was in a our church recipe book back when I was just starting high school. She has tested a million different variations and I attempted mine this morning. The original recipe is at the bottom.
What You Need:
- 12oz French Bread (loaf was $1 at Wal-Mart this morning)
- 6 Eggs
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3/4 Cup regular milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- Cinnamon to taste
- 8×8 pan
- 4 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut french bread in half then cube halves.
- Place half the cubes in pan greased pan.
- Top with cream cheese. (I just pulled chunks of it off with my hands)
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Place remaining french bread on top.
- Mix together eggs, milks, vanilla, butter, & syrup.
- Pour evenly over bread and cream cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Don’t turn up the heat last minute to try to crisp the top and forget to set a timer. Hence why mine is a little extra toasty on top.
My husband was a big fan. The sweetened condensed milk makes it a little sweeter than the original recipe. You can always add some sugar instead.
If cut in 12 pieces: 248 calories, 13g fat, 8g protein, 292g sodium, 9g sugar