So this is my first ever attempt at making chili besides my mom’s white chili. It turned out AMAZING. Its a combination of spicy and sweet. Everyone (husband and 2 friends) kept raving about it and I’m supposed to make it weekly for the duration of the winter. Sorry for the fuzzy photo. My phone went swimming in a creek while we were getting Christmas card photos done–so shocking for me to mess up my phone somehow. Reason why I always stress needing to have insurance on my phone (I’m epicly clumsy).
What You Need:
- 1lb ground beef (I used 93% local beef)
- 1lb mild sausage
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-14oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1-14oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 2 cups whiskey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 cup Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Garlic Powder, to taste
- 2 tbsp oil for cooking
What to do:
- Pour tomatoes and beans into crockpot on low with bay leaves and beef broth.
- Cook beef and pork completely. You can cook them together in the same pan. I seasoned it some with salt, pepper, and garlic powder while cooking.
- Drain cooked meat and pour into crockpot.
- Cook green peppers and onions in pan meat was cooked in until browned.
- Place cooked vegetables in crockpot.
- Place oil in pan. Cook garlic until fragrant and brown, about 3 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with whiskey. Cook down for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar. Let brown sugar dissolve. Let cook until alcohol smell has dissipated. Add to crockpot.
- Cook everything on low for 8 hours.
I served it with corn bread. A little bit of sour cream cut the spiciness of it as well. If you aren’t much for spicy, feel free to cut back on the chili powder and cayenne pepper.
Per 1 cup serving: serves About 14, 363 calories, 13g fat, 15g protein, 556g sodium, 18g sugar